Getting Started With PostgreSQL
Play this article
PostgreSQL is a pretty common database choice these days. It's quick and fairly easy to set up but a lot of the information I've seen online makes it much harder than it has to be so I'm going to put my notes here.
- Download PostgreSQL and follow the installation guide for your flavor
- Fire up your console and type
$ psqlto open the Postgres command line
- From here you should do all of the commands you find online
- Everything you find on http://www.postgresql.org/docs/ will work in the command line
- This will be your main interaction between you and your PostgreSQL databases
- Create a Database -
CREATE DATABASE my_new_database
- Read the docs and do some Google searches to find all of the commands you'll need. There are way too many to list here and they all have their uses.
$ rake db:create or for more developed projects
$ rake db:schema:load.
As usual if there is anything I've missed or questions that you have feel free to leave a comment below.